Inspire health. Serve with compassion. Be the difference.
Assists in care of patients of all ages before, during and after surgical procedures by performing scrub duties and related functions as a member of the surgical team on a novice to advanced beginner level completing identified job competencies. Maintains patient safety, privacy and confidentiality. Complies with legal aspects of patient care. Complies with sterilization standards and standards for handling sharps or contaminated instruments. Participates in quality improvement activities and completes hospital required education annually.
• Prepares for surgical procedures by collecting necessary supplies and instruments according to Surgeon Preference Card. – 15%
• Prepares the Operating Room for cases by opening sterile supplies, setting up table, arranging instruments and supplies according to type of case. – 10%
• Assists the surgical team during the operative procedure. Assists in maintaining correct count of instruments, needles and sponges. Identifies and cares for specimens. Handles drugs and solutions under direction of the RN. – 45%
• Cleans and prepares rooms between procedures and terminally clean at the end of the day. Returns unused supplies and instruments and extra equipment to proper storage. – 10%
• Maintains aseptic techniques; actively monitor situations which could lead to breaches in aseptic technique. Takes action to correct. – 10%
• Completes annual age specific accountabilities. – 5%
• Completes annual15 hours of ST continuing education between Jan 1st – Dec. 1st each year. – 5%
This is a non-management job that will report to a supervisor, manager, director, or executive.
Job related course work beyond high school – Diploma in Surgical Technology
No previous experience required.
CST – Surgical Technologist
Certification with NBSTSA or NCCT certification accepted if ST was employed as a ST in S.C. prior to January 1, 2008 or completed a ST military training program.
In Lieu Of The Above Minimum Requirements
In lieu of the education requirement only, must be current with mandatory 15 hours annually of ST continuing education AND either have been employed as a ST in S.C. prior to Jan. 1, 2008 OR have completed a ST military training program.
Team members employed in this job prior to July 1, 2020 are grandfathered under prior educational and experience requirements. In addition, team members must be certification eligible and will have one year to obtain required certification.
Other Required Skills and Experience
Basic Computer Skills
Knowledge of office equipment (fax/copier)
Completes 15 hours of mandatory ST education annually – Required
Maintains surgical technology certification – Required
Variable (United States of America)
Laurens County Medical Campus
1062 Laurens County Hospital
10626160 Operating Room
Share your talent with us! Our vision is simple: to transform healthcare for the benefits of the communities we serve. The transformation of healthcare requires talented individuals in every role here at Prisma Health.
Receive emails for the latest jobs matching your search criteria